Max Kade was born on October 13, 1882 in Steinbach / Schwäbisch Hall in Germany. In 1904 he emigrated to the USA. In New York he graduated in pharmacy and founded a pharmaceutical company that made him very wealthy.
Together with his wife Annette he created the Max Kade Foundation in 1944. Using the motto "in the service of mankind" the Foundation became involved in the democratic reconstruction of Germany after WW2 and especially facilitated the building of libraries, refectories and halls of residence for the academic youth. Max Kade died on July 15, 1967.
The present president of the Max Kade Foundation is Lya Friedrich Pfeifer J.D. The student halls built or renovated using financial support from the Max Kade Foundation were named after their founder.